Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Train Travel

Today I traveled from Athens to Old Corinth. It was an ordeal, but I learned several things about everyday life in Greece. I do not have a video for you because the taxi driver I talked to was too shy and felt like her English wasn't good enough and the video that I tried to take in the train was terrible. What I have in this post soon is the sound file. You will like it.

I started out with a taxi drive in Athens to the train station. The taxi driver was a woman. She has two children, ages 4 and 2. She drives taxi every day from 6 am to 5 pm. She said that in Athens there are are lots of taxis because most plaeople do not want to drive a car in the city. Gas is expensive and so is parking. It costs less and is easier to take a taxi. Most people who have cars use them for out of town travel. She also said that life is hard in Greece. She has to work really hard just to keep her kids fed, but she tries not to let them know there are problems. Instead she plays and laughs with them after work.

Then I was at the train station and I could not read the signs. I got into the line that I thought I was supposed to be in and waited only to find out that I needed to go to a different window to purchase my ticket. Did I tell you that I was pulling my suitcase with me? After I got the ticket I had to roll my suitcase down and up stairs that took me from one train line to another. About half way through the train ride, we met up with another train that
was broken down and so even though we were FULL we took on A whole new trainload of people and their baggage. That is what the recording is of. I hope you like it!

It is harder than I thought to put audio on here! This link will take you to Google Docs where you can download and listen. In order to put the sound right on here I have to upload it to my webspace and I do not know the password.... It is at home and I am in Greece.
Sounds from the train.

2 comments:

  1. Posted for Susie

    I had to download the file to my desktop so I could open it with something that would play it. I had tried to open it from the web page, but it couldn’t find a program to use and didn’t let me pick one. I liked the talking even though I couldn’t understand it. Were the people talking angry? Their voices were loud like shouting, but I couldn’t really tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to figure out a good way to post audio files, but I have not figured it out yet, so you do have to download the file. I have an idea and will try it soon.

    In the meantime if you do listen to the audio it is a bunch of Greek people who are upset about what was happening on the train. I don't understand Greek, so I don't know what they are saying either. Maybe a Greek friend could let me know in case it is offensive and I should take it down.

    ReplyDelete